So you’ve decided to sell your home in Humboldt County. As specialists in real estate in the area, we have helped facilitate the sale of innumerable Trinidad, Arcata, McKinleyville and Eureka homes, and we’ve learned a thing or two about the process. Whether this is the first time you’ve ever put property on the market or you’ve done this before, we hope you’ll find this helpful home sellers’ checklist to be a useful resource. Take a look:
- Connect with a real estate professional with a proven track record in your area. When you have an expert by your side, that’s more than half the battle won already.
- Get your home inspected. This will give you a clearer idea of which repairs are most necessary.
- Find out how much repairs and improvements are going to cost. Set a budget and try to stick to it.
- Have urgent repairs completed and consider having minor improvements and touch-ups done. It’s best to consult with your Realtor about which improvements will help make your property more marketable.
- Get an estimate of the closing costs and don’t forget to budget for other additional costs as well such as capital gains tax.
- Work out a timeline – when you can move out, whether you need to find a new home first, etc. This way your agent will be able to create a marketing strategy that’s suited to your needs.
- Find out what the fair market value (FMV) of your home is. This will entail getting a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) from your agent, doing research on market trends in your area, finding out what the average cost per square foot is in your corner of the woods, and so on.
- Discuss a pricing strategy with your Realtor and set the price.
- Market your home. If you’re working with an agent, then they will take care of this aspect for you.
- Rid your home of clutter and make sure that it’s as clean as possible, inside and out. Remember that buyers will want to open closets, shine their flashlights into dark corners, etc.
- Work out a schedule for showings and open houses with your agent. This will help minimize the stress for you and your family and is especially important if you have a large household.
- When reviewing purchase offers, don’t just look at the offer. Find out whether the buyer has already been preapproved, what their closing timeline is, when the offer will expire, and other contingencies.
- Negotiate. Consider providing incentives that will be attractive to the buyer, but won’t cost you too much.
- Set closing and move-in dates with your buyer.
- Have all the relevant documents ready for escrow.
Questions about our helpful home sellers’ checklist? For more home-selling tips and to learn more about Forbes & Associates’ marketing plan, browse the site and get in touch with us anytime. Check out our post on top 10 real estate questions answered to get more insights and let us know how we can be of service to you!